Our Los Angeles based fertility practice, the Center for Fertility and Gynecology, enjoys a worldwide reputation for personalized care and outstanding success. It is no wonder that patients from every continent (except Antartica) and over 30 countries, have come to our center for fertility care. We are honored to treat these international guests and proud to be able to meet their unique needs. Flexible scheduling, seamless communication and ready availability are only some of the traits which make this process possible. In addition to those patients from other countries, a plethora of patients from every state in the US, travel to our clinic for care. While US based patients do not need to deal with all of the same issues as the international crew, timing, communication and availability are still critically important.
The key to success with our international and remote-domestic patients is to keep the same basic treatment strategies that we use with our local patients, while making specific modifications which do not impact the success rate. For most non-local patients a cycle of IVF will proceed as follows:
1. Initial consult- The first step in any treatment plan is to meet or speak for an initial consult. We commonly consult with patients through SKYPE or by phone. This allows the patient to get a feel for their doctor and the doctor to assess the situation for the patient. Of course, if a patient wants to travel to our center for the initial consult, we are very accommodating to their schedule and can provide recommendations for lodging and eating.
2. Physical examination- depending on the patient’s situation and wishes, we can arrange for an examination by a specialist near the patient, or we can set up a time for the patient to come to our center. For some patients, like those using a surrogate and egg donor, a physical exam may not be necessary.
3. Medication- based on the physical exam and specific blood tests, we can usually craft a treatment plan unique to the patient. Further, with the help of specialty pharmacies, the needed medications can be delivered anywhere in the world.
4. Monitoring- Once medication begins, as long as there is competent medical care available, the beginning of stimulation can occur remotely.
5. Travel to our center- In general, patients come to our center about half way through their stimulation. This allows our physicians to monitor the most critical steps and ultimately decide when the patient’s eggs are ready.
6. Follicle aspiration and embryo transfer- Just as our local patients, remote patients undergo the most important aspects of IVF in our outstanding IVF laboratory.
7. Going home- Patients may travel back to their home on the 6th day after follicle aspiration (1 day after a day 5 embryo transfer)
Successfully treating patients who do not live close by takes a special clinic. We are proud of our ability to deliver the same superior care for patients who live next door and those who live in another hemisphere. If you have any questions about international fertility treatment or fertility questions in general, please contact us. We’d be happy to chat with you