Is Surrogacy the Right Choice to Expand My Family?
Many people dream of growing their families but struggle to conceive, are unable to conceive, or cannot safely carry a pregnancy. Gestational surrogacy is a way to help couples struggling with fertility issues or same-sex couples expand their families. The Center for Fertility and Gynecology in Los Angeles, Tarzana, and Bakersfield, CA, can help you determine if surrogacy is the right choice to help you grow your family.
What Is Surrogacy?
Surrogacy is a form of reproductive medicine in which a woman carries a pregnancy for another person or couple, known as the intended parent or intended parents (IP). There are two forms of surrogacy: traditional and gestational.
- Traditional Surrogacy - In this method of surrogacy, the surrogate uses her own eggs and is biologically related to the child she is carrying. There is no law banning traditional surrogacy in California, but there are often additional legal requirements that must be met in the process.
- Gestational Surrogacy - The surrogate carrying the pregnancy has no biological links to the child she is carrying. The child is often conceived using sperm and egg from the intended parents or from sperm and egg donors.
Why Choose Surrogacy Over Other Forms of Reproduction?
There are several reasons a person or couple may choose surrogacy to expand their family. Surrogacy could benefit:
- Couples who have been unsuccessful with other methods to conceive, who have suffered from reoccurring miscarriages, and parents who have failed to conceive through IVF may have success with surrogacy.
- LGBTQ+ couples. Oftentimes, male couples will use the sperm from one father and an egg donor to conceive a child with a genetic link to at least one intended parent.
- A woman with health problems that make it unsafe to get pregnant or a woman who has undergone a hysterectomy can turn to surrogacy as often her eggs can still be used to create a biological child.
- Single men and women are able to achieve their dreams of having a biological child of their own. The sperm or egg is donated from the man or woman to create an embryo with a biological link to the intended parent.
How Is a Surrogate Chosen?
Sometimes, intended parents have a friend or family member that has offered to carry their child. Otherwise, surrogates are thoroughly screened by an agency to ensure she is healthy enough physically and mentally to carry a pregnancy. The intended parents then choose from the candidates. Once the intended parents match with a surrogate mother, the IVF process can begin.
Ready to Expand Your Family through Surrogacy?
There are many reasons why a person or couple might choose surrogacy to grow their family. At The Center for Fertility and Gynecology, we are here to guide you through every step of the way. If you are ready to take the next step on your journey to growing your family, request a consultation by contacting us online or calling us today at (818) 881-9800. We have multiple locations to help serve the patients of Los Angeles and the surrounding communities. We look forward to helping you achieve your dreams of becoming a parent.