WHAT IS AN "R E"? By SEO Admin on March 22, 2012

What is an RE?

Many people use the term RE when referring to a fertility doctor, but not everyone knows exactly what those 2 little letters, RE, mean? RE is short for reproductive endocrinology and is actually shortened from the term REI which stands for reproductive endocrinology and infertility. REI is one of 5 recognized sub-specialties of obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN). The other sub-specialties are gynecologic oncology, gynecologic urology, hi-risk obstetrics and family planning. In order to join a sub-specialty, a physician must first complete a 4 year residency in OB/GYN, and then apply to a fellowship. Fellowships are located at large academic medical centers and for REI, there are about 30 positions available across the country per year. The fellowship lasts 3 years and includes a demanding curriculum of surgery, research, teaching and clinical care.

Once the fellowship is completed, about 30% of doctors remain, full-time in academia where they focus on research. The other 70% of doctors focus on clinical care. These are generally the doctors people refer to when they use the term RE. Importantly, any licensed physician can call themselves a fertility specialist only someone who has completed a REI fellowship can be called an RE.

Additionally, 2 years after the completion of fellowship, an RE has the opportunity to undergo a rigorous set of oral and written tests known as the board exam. Only about 2/3rds of REs elect to subject themselves to this test. Of them, the first time pass rate is usually between 50% and 70%. The test represents the pinnacle of sub-specialty training, and for those who pass it, confirms their dedication and expertise in the field.

If you are looking for a fertility specialist, or have questions about fertility, please dont hesitate to call us. One of our 3 Board Certified REs would be happy to speak with you. www.center4fertility.com (818) 881-9800

 

 

Related to This

Doctors

The Center for Fertility and Gynecology

The Center for Fertility and Gynecology provides cutting-edge medical care in a patient-oriented and supportive setting. Drs. Michael Vermesh and Tannaz Toloubeydokhti offer all couples the best possible evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment of male and female infertility. Our experienced physicians are affiliated with:

  • American Association of Gynecologic Laparascopists
  • ACOG: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
  • American Medical Association
  • ASRM: American Society for Reproductive Medicine
  • Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
  • Resolve: The National Infertility Association
  • SREI: Society for Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
  • The Seed Fertility Program

Ready to start your family? Request your consultation today by filling out our online form or calling (818) 881-9800.

Get In Touch

Rate, Review & Explore

Social Accounts Sprite
Google map image of our location in 24241 Hawthorne Blvd Ste 201 Torrance, CA

Torrance Office

24241 Hawthorne Blvd
Ste 201
Torrance, CA 90505

Open Today

Google map image of our location in 18370 Burbank Blvd Ste 301 Tarzana, CA

Tarzana Office

18370 Burbank Blvd
Ste 301
Tarzana, CA 91356

Open Today

Google map image of our location in 9610 Stockdale Hwy  Bakersfield, CA

Bakersfield Office

9610 Stockdale Hwy
Bakersfield, CA 93311

Open Today

Google map image of our location in 415 Rolling Oaks Dr  Thousand Oaks, CA

Thousand Oaks Office

415 Rolling Oaks Dr
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361

Closed Today

Google map image of our location in 5353 Balboa Blvd Ste 301 Encino, CA

Our Lab

5353 Balboa Blvd
Ste 301
Encino, CA 91316

Closed Today

(818) 881-9800 Send a message