Progesterone Los Angeles
Use the 3CC (ML) syringe, draw out the medication with the 22 guage 1 ½ inch needle, inject the medication with the 25 guage 1 ½ in needle.
Directions for the glass ampule purchased from our office
- Open the package for the syringe. Remove the syringe and check to see if the needle is applied tightly. If not, tighten the needle by turning it in a clockwise motion until it stops. (keep the needle capped). Do not touch the needle. If you do touch the needle, replace the needle by carefully recapping the needle, twisting if off and twisting on a new one. Needles are no longer sterile after being touched.
- Snap off the top of the ampule.
- Uncap the needle and draw 1cc of progesterone into the 3 cc syringe and then carefully recap the needle.
- Place this syringe into the refridgerator for then following day.
- Repeat steps 1-3 with a new syringe.
- Change the gray cap (22 gauge) needle to the blue cap (25 gauge) needle.
- Expel any air bubbles in the syringe
- Administer intramuscularly
Directions for vial purchased from outside pharmacy
- Use a new sterile syringe and needle each time you inject.
- Carefully flip the lid of the vial off.
- Check to see if the needle is tight. If not, If not, tighten the needle by turning it in a clockwise motion until it stops. (keep the needle capped). Do not touch the needle. If you do touch the needle, replace the needle by carefully recapping the needle, twisting if off and twisting on a new one. Needles are no longer sterile after being touched.
- Draw the medication into the syringe using the following method.
- Wipe the top of the vial with alcohol swab. Do not touch the top after wiping with anything other than the needle.
- Draw air into the syringe by pulling the plunger back until the mark of the amount of medication you are going to withdraw.
- Insert the needle into the vial through the rubber stopper.
- Push the plunger all the way in.
- Turn vial upside down without removing the needle. Withdraw the amount needed making sure the tip of the needle remains in the liquid.
- Withdraw the needle from the vial.
- Tap the syringe with the needle pointed up to cause any air bubbles to rise. Slightly press the plunger until a drop of liquid appears at the top of the needle.
- Administer intramuscularly
INJECTING THE MEDICATION (intra muscular, or "I.M." injection)
The upper buttock area is recommended for injection (see picture) To locate the correct area, divide one buttock into four quadrants. The upper outside quadrant is the location for the injection. This location reduces the risk of hitting a blood vessel or nerve.
- Clean the injection site with alcohol and allow to air dry.
- Choose a comfortable position such as lying face down, standing, or leaning against a surface with knees slightly bent to relax the muscles. You may want to shift weight to the side of the body that is not going to get the injection.
- Pinch the injection site between thumb and forefinger. Hold the needle the way you would hold a pencil at a 90 degree angle about 2 to 3 inches from the skin. Insert the entire needle with a quick motion and release the skin.
- Pull back the plunger slightly and check for blood. If blood appears in the syringe, do not panic, pull the needle out a bit, change direction, push back all the way in and inject.
- If there are no signs of blood, slowly push the plunger all the way with a slow steady motion. Gently withdraw the needle and discard in your sharps container. Wipe site with alcohol rubbing gently. If bleeding appears, apply pressure.
- Discard used needles, syringes, ampules and vials in to your sharps container.
- Your sharps container is classified as medical waste and must be disposed of properly. Ask your health care provider (doctor, nurse or pharmacist) about disposal when it is full.
- Your injection material must be sterile and cannot be reused.
- Never leave needles lying around where others can pick them up.
- Never reuse a needle. Not only does a needle need to be sterile each time you use it, but reusing a needle can damage the tip and cause injury and greater pain.